Feature detection is commonly used in web browsers to enable or disable features of websites. Using a similar concept, we can determine if a video game will run on a specific set of hardware.
This can be taken advantage in numerous ways:
· Automatically configuring Lutris on start
· Giving appropriate warnings before launching games, possibly saving hours of troubleshooting
· Automating a large portion of the installer scripts
· Setting expectations on hardware like the Steam Deck
· Exposing useful information to users
The collaborative nature of Lutris means we’ll have a way for the community to contribute to setting system requirements. This will hopefully make gaming on Linux even more accessible than it is today!
Session author's bio
Long time Linux user, Mathieu started working on Lutris in 2009 to simplify video game management. He specializes in Python development, both for the Linux desktop and the web.
|Level of Difficulty||Beginner|